• Welcome
  • New Carer?
  • Our Newsletter

Welcome to the Working Carers Gateway

This website has been created to help people who are juggling working AND caring roles.

Who is a working carer? - A working carer is a person who is in paid employment and who cares for a relative or friend who is ill, frail, has a disability or is ageing. They may work full-time, part-time, casually or have a business of their own

Recently become a working carer?

Then you have come to the right place. Visit our carer fact sheets to
find out your options when it comes to dealing with Centrelink, your workplace and the new role you have taken on.

Click Here to get started!




Read the Work 'n' Care Monthly Newsletter

The latest edition Work 'n' Care, Our monthly newsletter, is now available. Take some time and have a look as our goal is to present you with new information and effective projects to improve carers’ lives, so that what works, spreads.

Click here to read the latest edition of Work 'n' Care

Work 'n' Care Newsletter

Enter your details below to subscribe to our monthly newsletter.

Quick Links


Employee Guide

Read our employee tips on how to speak with your employer and making your workplace carer friendly.

Employer Advice

Our Employer section has a range of information to help any size employer make the most of the carers at work.

Carers Toolkit

Find out how this toolkit can help you describe daily carer activities for job applications.

Read More

Join us on Facebook

Can I work and still get the Carer Allowance?

There is no income or asset test for the Carer Allowance and it is tax-free, so you can work or be on a pension and still be eligible.

What do I need to make a claim?
To make a claim, you will need to provide proof of identity for yourself and for the person being cared for.

The Carer Allowance (Adult) is where the care receiver is aged 16 years or over. If you are caring for a person aged 16 years and over, you can see their doctor or another health professional (registered nurse, occupational therapist, physiotherapist, member of an aged care assessment team or Aboriginal health worker). The doctor or health professional will need to fill out a report to go with your Carer Allowance (adult) claim form using the Adult Disability Assessment Tool.

How much care must I provide to qualify?
You may receive Carer Allowance (caring for a person 16 years or over) if:
  • you are looking after a person aged 16 years or over who has a disability, medical condition or who is frail aged and needs a lot of care and attention on a daily basis, and
  • you provide the care for that person in either your home or the home of that person.

Can I get the Carer Allowance for more than one person?

You may qualify for Carer Allowance for two, but no more than two, disabled adults.

What conditions apply?
You and the person you care for must be an Australian resident and allowed to live here permanently, and you both must live in Australia. You are eligible for up to 63 days of respite per calendar year without your Carer Allowance being stopped. If the person you are caring for is temporarily in hospital, there is a separate allocation of up to 63 days per calendar year where you can continue to receive the Carer Allowance. If a longer stay in hospital is required, you can add your allocation of respite days to the hospitalisation days and continue to receive the Carer Allowance.

How do I apply?

You can register an intent to claim for Carer Allowance (caring for a person 16 years or over) as soon as possible.

You should then submit your claim for Carer Allowance within 14 days so that we can pay you from the earliest possible date.

Claim forms to complete

The following steps will help you obtain a claim form to suit your personal circumstances.

Step 1

Contact Centrelink on 13 27 17 or visit a Centrelink Customer Service Centre and our staff will ask you some questions to determine your circumstances and issue you with the appropriate claim forms.

Step 2

Read the information attached to your claim form. This contains important information you need to know, including the privacy notice, before you lodge your claim for Carer Allowance.

Returning your forms

Step 3

Return your completed forms, proof of identity for yourself, your partner (if you have one) and for the person being cared for, medical reports and any other documents we have asked for to your nearest Centrelink Customer Service Centre.

Note: To authorise a person to act on your behalf when dealing with Centrelink, or who can receive your payments, refer to someone to deal with Centrelink for you.

Claim outcome

We will send you a letter advising if your claim is successful. If you are eligible for Carer Allowance, the letter will tell you when your payment starts and how much you will get paid.

What if my claim is unsuccessful?

You always have the right to appeal any decision made by Centrelink.

You have the right to privacy.

If you need assistance with a review or an appeal, contact:

  • your nearest community legal centre by checking the White Pages in your telephone book, by calling the Combined Community Legal Centres Group on 02 9212 7333, or www.nswclc.org.au.
  • the Welfare Rights Centre

Telephone 1800 226 028
TTY (02) 9211 0238 (for those with a hearing or speech impairment)

Click Here to download the Carer Allowance (adult) fact sheet from the Australian Welfare Rights Network

For more information contact: -

Telephone: 13 27 17
TTY: 1800 810 586 (for those with a hearing or speech impairment)


If you think you need an interpreter, or if you feel more confident with an interpreter, you should use one of the three free available interpreter services.

  • Most Centrelink offices have interpreters available at regular times each week. Your local Centrelink office can tell you whether there is an interpreter available who speaks your language, and at what times they are in the office.
  • You can telephone the Multilingual Telephone Information Service (MTI), which is part of Centrelink. MTI is staffed by Centrelink officers who are bilingual.  You can ring them directly on 13 12 02 and they can answer your questions for you.
  • You can also call the Telephone Interpreter Service (TIS) on 13 14 50 and ask for an interpreter. This is a free service.

For information on reviews and appeals, see our Fact Sheet Complaints to Services.

You may be eligible for other financial assistance: see our Fact Sheet Money Management for more information.


Carer Strategies

Carer Recognition

The NSW Carers (Recognition) Act 2010 (the Act) was introduced to provide recognition of carers and to establish a Carers Advisory Council.

NSW Carers Strategy

The NSW Carers Strategy recognises the valuable contribution that carers make to NSW. The Strategy focuses on five key areas.

National Carers Strategy

The National Carer Strategy contains a vision, an aim and six important priority areas for action. The strategy was developed with key stakeholders.




  • 2.7 million unpaid carers in Australia 
  • more than 770,000 carers are primary carers 
  • 300,000 carers are under the age of 24 
  • 150,000 carers are under the age of 18 
  • over 1.5 million carers are of working age (18-64) 
  • 31,600 Indigenous carers are over the age of 15 
  • 620,000 carers were born outside Australia 
  • 366,700 carers were born in non-English speaking countries 
  • 520,000 carers are over 65 years of age 

Language Translations